Unfortunately the summer months can definitely take its toll on your hair. From sand and sun to chlorine and saltwater, all these elements wreak havoc on your hair. They suck the vitality from hair – drying it, fading the colour and reducing shine. Here are a few tips to help you keep your hair strong and beautiful over the summer months so you can rock any beach hairstyle.
Follow these key tips to make sure you can rock that healthy summer hairstyle:
- Conditioner: Make leave in conditioner your new best friend. Slathering it on every morning will combat dryness.
- Wide Tooth Comb: Always carry one with you to banish knots and tangles and make sure to comb your hair after every swim.
- Keep it Natural: Ban yourself from blow-drying your hair and instead leave it to dry naturally to avoid any more heat damage.
- Keep it Down: Leave your hair down while swimming to prevent tangles and be knot free, avoiding damaged and broken hair.
- Clips & Bands: To avoid scalp burn don’t part your hair. Use a hair clip or headband to keep your hair together.
- Wet your Hair before you go Swimming: Your hair can only hold so much water, so if it’s already wet it will not stock up much chlorine or salt.
- Conditioning Treatment: Use deep conditioning treatments to lock in moisture and to nourish your hair during the summer heat.
- Eat Healthy: Studies have shown that omega-3 fatty acids—found in foods such as salmon, spinach, and omega-3-rich eggs—can keep your hair strong and looking healthy and shiny.
- Regular Haircuts: Split ends if left unchecked can work their way upwards leaving hair dull and unmanageable so invest in regular haircuts.
- Protect your Hair: Invest in hair products with UV filters to prevent sun damage, especially if your hair is coloured.