There’s a lot of pressure to look your best on Valentine’s Day so SalonAddict have come to the rescue with some beauty and hair tips!!
Make your eyes stand out with full and flirty eyelashes by plumping up the volume with eyelash extensions. He won’t be able to take his eyes off you!!
There is nothing sexier than having big bouncy hair, so give yourself that extra boost of confidence with a professional blow dry.
Get an all over golden glow with a full body spray tan.
Wear your heart on your fingertips and opt for a Valentine’s Day inspired manicure! Think pinks and reds!!
Curly hairstyles are perfect for Valentine’s Day giving you a glamorous romantic look.
Want flawless make up? Whether its sultry smoky eyes or a bold red lip you are after, have a professional apply it to get that perfect look you are after.
- Clean your nails thoroughly before applying a base coat. Make sure any oils or dirt is removed from the nail area. Then dry your hands using a towel or cotton wool.
- One of the most essential elements to making your manicure last longer is to apply a base coat before applying your polish this will allow the polish to last much longer as it acts just like a primer.
- When applying your nail polish make sure to leave space around the edge of your nail so that the polish does not get applied to your skin.
- Avoid applying too much nail polish to the nail at any one time. This can make your nails look uneven or messy when they dry. Apply thin amounts to the nail for a more even application.
- When applying a second coat make sure your nails are fully dry working from the thumb to the pinkie with each coat you apply. After a few days it is recommended that you apply a top coat to ensure your nails stay fresh and clean avoiding any future breakages or chips.
- If chips occur we suggest using a buffer to smooth out the problem then apply a fresh coat of the polish to the manicure.
- Another useful tip is to use gloves to protect your nails when cleaning or gardening to help prevent them from any harsh chemicals that might cause the polish to fade or chip.
Everyone wants to look their best over the Christmas period so SalonAddict has rounded up some key beauty and hair tips to get you through this Christmas.
- Too much partying and not enough sleep can take its toll on your eyes. Treat tired puffy eyes by applying a soothing eye cream.
- Whatever hairstyle you have chosen for that long awaited party make sure it withstands the night and the dance floor by applying hairspray to hold it in place.
- During the festive season late night parties and coming home late is the norm, but to keep your skin glowing avoid falling straight into bed. Sticking to your skin care regime is a must and always remember to take your make up off.
- After all the Christmas shopping and walking around trying to find the perfect presents your body with be full of aches and pains. So treat yourself to an early Christmas present and give your body some well-deserved TLC by booking in for a massage. It will be exactly what your body needs.
- Get perfect brows by getting your eyebrows professionally shaped, whether it is threading, waxing or HD brows, perfectly groomed eyebrows can open up your eyes dramatically.
- Make sure your nails are chip and smudge free this Christmas by getting a Shellac Manicure. Shellac manicures provide a smudge -proof nail colour that can last up to 4 weeks. So take the time and hassle out of re-doing your nails over the festive season and book yourself in for a Shellac manicure.
- Always curl your eyelashes before applying makeup to maximize the potential of your mascara. Try blasting your curlers with the hairdryer – heat will help the curl to hold. If you really want to make an impact this year why not opt for false eyelashes to get that ultra va -va voom look.
- The festive season can definitely take its toll on your appearance. From all the late nights to wearing heavy make-up can all lead to dull looking skin. So choose from a range of facials that are available on SalonAddict to get your skin back to a healthy appearance.
- More parties to attend means more hairstyles to try out. Over use of heated styling tools can result in dry damaged hair. Indulge yourself to a nourishing hair treatment to keep your hair looking healthy and shiny over the Christmas period.
- Feel good from within by eating the right foods and drinking plenty of water.
Getting a manicure is not just about choosing what colour to go for, there is a lot more to consider. Manicures differ from one another in their usage of various creams, oils and treatments. Some are extremely pampering, which can be great for tired, overworked hands, while others are simple yet effective enough to give you the glamorous nails you desire. The choice of your manicure treatment really depends on your requirement and preference, so if you’re a fan of turning heads by painting your fingernails with a vibrant colour or you prefer simple short demure nails there are plenty of manicures out there to suit your taste. To help you choose the right manicure for you here is a low down on the most popular manicures available!
French Manicure: The ever classic french manicure is destined to give you the clean and gorgeous look. A French manicure features a clear, pale pink or beige polish over the entire nail, and white polish along the tip. The nail is shaped either round or oval (rounded like egg). This doesn’t apply any other treatment of hand like massage or finger care. This requires regular maintenance because as the finger nails grow the coloured zone of nail needs to be cut.
Paraffin Wax: This is a kind of treatment that mainly cares about the aesthetic view of the hand. Warm Paraffin is applied to the whole body of hand, wrist and nails. It removes unexpected hairs, dead skins and dust from your hand and gives you a soft and smooth hand. It also increases the moisture condition of the hand and gives you a fresh look.
American Manicure: It is a natural type of manicure that uses no chemical or artificial paints or polish. In this treatment the nails are shaped into a different shape. It uses sharp tools so extra care should be taken during this treatment.
Hot Stone Manicure: Actually this is a massage treatment of the hand. It applies pre-heated stones over your hand and a warm massage to improve the softness and smoothness of the hand. Those who have to work a lot by hand may like to have this treatment whenever they get a chance, because it treats the internal muscles of the hand and gives a strong grip and gorgeous look.
Brazilian Manicure:This is a natural nail treatment method that includes no use of chemicals, creams or water. Specially lined gloves are used to soften and moisturize your hands. This treatment helps to grow and strengthen your nails.
Luxury Manicure: This is a complete manicure treatment. It includes all hand treatment that is necessary to beautify your hand. It includes a hand massage, paraffin wax, heat treatment, moisturizing and softening. Sometimes additional services are included depending on client requirement.
Still deciding on what costume to wear? Why not start the Halloween festivities with your nails!! From skulls to ghosts to pumpkins there is an endless amount of spooky nail art for you to choose from!! Here are some of SalonAddict’s favourite Halloween inspired manicures that are sure to add a touch of terror to your nails!!
Skull inspired Manicures
Either stick to black and white nail polishes or else add a pop of colour by introducing some bright nail polishes for your skull manicure!!
Witch inspired Manicures
Spice up the classic witch costume with a matching Witch Manicure! Apply fake nails and file into a sharp point to help you cast those spells this Halloween!
Ghost inspired Manicures
Be inspired by Casper the friendly Ghost or the famous Ghost-busters or go for a simple black and white theme to get your Ghost inspired manicure.
Zombie inspired Manicures
Add some extra horror to your Halloween costume with these zombie inspired Manicures.
Pumpkin Inspired Manicures.
Be as creative or as simple as you want with your pumpkin manicure, the combination of black and orange nail polishes will scream Halloween!!
Never can decide on what colour to choose when painting your nails? With the water marble manicure you can get as many colours as you like on just one nail! The water marble manicure gives your nails a dramatic look allowing you to be as creative as you like. Marbled nails have the desired effect of looking incredibly difficult, but with a bit of practice and these how-to steps and tips below, you will see just how easy it is.
How to get a Marbleized Manicure.
- Fill a small dish with bottled or room temperature water.
- Paint your nails with a base colour, then place tape around each of the nail right up to the cuticle to avoid getting polish all over your fingers, if you’re stuck for time rub Vaseline or cuticle oil around your nails to ease the removal of polish after the dipping.
- Now with the nail polishes you have chosen start adding drops of polish to the water until you get a bulls eye shape.
- Then using a tooth pick drag the bulls eye around to create the desired marble effect.
- Submerge your finger into the water and then take your tooth pick and pull away any of the excess colours away from your nail. Otherwise, you’ll end up with a long, gloopy mess of nail polish dripping from your nail. This is key to the success of this type of marbling.
- Remove the excess polish from around your nails with nail polish remover. Allow to dry then, apply a base coat to prevent your manicure from chipping.
- Be prepared. Nail polish hardens quickly on the water surface so be sure to have all the nail polishes you are planning to use open and ready to go.
- Make sure your base coat is smooth, if it’s streaky or lumpy it will show through after you dip your finger.
- Use filtered or water that is at room temp as this will allow the polish to spread a lot easier.
- Use a small bowl or cup. You want the outer layer of polish to touch the sides of the dish. This helps anchor the polish so when you drag through to make the design, it doesn’t spread around.
- If you have short nails don’t use a lot of colours. Many colours leave a greater difficulty for creating a pattern because you want all of the colours to be seen.
- Wipe the polish off your toothpick in between each “swirl” when you’re marbling to ensure clean lines.
- If you drop the polish too high it will fall to the bottom of the bowl.
- Do not blow on your nails and do not shake them. This can cause bubbles or even mess up your design.
The Shellac Manicure has become hugely popular in the beauty world over the past couple of years. Shellac was founded by CND and is even popular among celebrities such as Rihanna and the Kardashian Sisters. We thought we would shed some light to explain what is involved in getting it done and provide you with some of the pros and cons.
Shellac is a nail product that lasts for at least 14 days without chipping, scratching or smudging. A Shellac manicure consists of a UV base coat, two coats of colour, and a UV top coat. Hands are placed inside of a UV lamp drier in between each coat, with each process taking seconds to cure.
The shellac nails formula is thin and flexible like polish, so it not only looks natural; it provides strong natural nail protection with a mirror finish that resists dullness and chipping. This manicure treatment promises smudge proof nail colour that lasts for weeks without chipping.
Provided in an array of Shellac Nail colours, you can have this manicure done professionally, to your taste in a simple process that is similar to the gel nails design.
Check out the pros and cons of a Shellac manicure:
• Shellac nails manicure can potentially last up to 4 weeks.
• The UV lamp cures and dries the polish instantly, which means there’s absolutely no drying time.
• Manicure achieves a mirror image (nails look wet, but aren’t).
• No chipping or smudging.
• Gives weaker nails strength to grow.
• Application/ removal do not require any filing so there is no damage to the natural nail.
• Not recommended for unhealthy natural nails and nail beds.
• The Manufacturer only sells to licensed professionals, so a Shellac manicure can only be applied in salons.
• The Shellac polish has to be removed in the salon with an acetone soak and a gentle scrape-off that takes 20 minutes in addition to your manicure time.
• This manicure is geared towards those who want to be able to wear one style for 2 weeks, so it may not be for the person who wants to change their colour every 3 days.
SalonAddict is delighted to introduce our very first guest blogger, the super talented Yu. She kindly took out time from her own faboulous blog LetsMakeYuUp to tell us a little about each winner from The SalonAddict Looking Good Awards 2012.
As a beauty blogger myself, it really makes me happy when I see companies taking the initiative to recognise the hard work that bloggers and vloggers have contributed to the beauty industry in the past few years! Which is why it is my pleasure completely to tell you a bit more about the winners of the SalonAddict Looking Good Awards 2012.
When it comes to beauty blogs, you don’t get as professional-looking, but simultaneous helpful, and most importantly, ad-free than Lisa’s blog. Her creative feature ideas, use of a wide range of products and tutorials on everyday wearable looks make her blog widely accessible and such fun to read! If you didn’t already know, Lisa Eldridge is a celebrity make-up artist, and her work features in many editorials and films. Her blog is a great place to admire her work in her Gallery section – not something all of us beauty bloggers can boast! With links to her fantastic video tutorials on top of all of this, there is no question as to Lisa Eldridge’s selection as winner of best beauty blog.
Arguably one of the cutest people you will ever see on YouTube, Sammi’s beauty vlog is a gem, even amongst many other great beauty vloggers. Her laid-back style in delivering her videos, her choice of products which range from high-end to affordable, and her incredibly experienced and well-edited videos make her channel one of those you never want to miss a video from! I think everyone will agree when I say, “Sammi, can I please have your hair, your eyes, and your smile?” It’s no wonder she’s taken the beauty vlogging world by storm, along with this Award – she’s gorgeous, of course we want to know what she’s got up her sleeves!
Lily is a girl I think we can all relate to, which makes her fashion blog such a pleasure to read, and a deserved winner for this year’s SalonAddict Looking Good Awards. Her vibrant and artistic photographs and cute songs as blog post titles are unmissable, even in the heap of unread blog posts you could have on Blogger’s Dashboard. Lily features pieces that are easily accessible, affordable and everyday-friendly, and manages to throw them together in a very indie yet cute way. Her regular posting and dedication to her blog makes LLYMLRS a great blog to follow – surely a sign of great things to come from her other outlets, ETC LLYMLRS and her new YouTube channel.
There’s no question about it – these winners were chosen well. All three are incredibly influential names in the growing world of beauty and fashion blogs and vlogs, who inspire and help each and every one of their viewers and readers make better decisions, give us ideas and generally enjoy being the beauty and fashion lovers that we are!
Please join me in congratulating the lovely beauty and fashion blog/vlog winners of the SalonAddict Looking Good Awards 2012